I’ve edited together a couple of short films before using Premiere Pro – the 20:20 Print Exchange and Loosely Bound at Beacons – but I’ve never really ventured into the video effects section. Making an abstracted film for an art installation would require much delving into this new territory.
Our concept for the Love Arts Festival windows was to create a projection inside the window that took as its starting point interviews with people talking about what makes them sad and happy. Those questions were simplified into one – when you feel sad what makes you happy – and people were voxed popped and their responses filmed. These films were then to be mixed and edited and abstracted to reflect their answers. Unfortunately the projection mapping wasn’t possible, so we worked on showing the film across three screens in the space instead.
To get the footage we needed to mix with the interviews we split tasks and I focussed on recording the natural world, while Zoe and Loren focussed on food and manmade. We then shared these films and added to them with free online and found footage. From here the plan was to each make a film that corresponds with an interview
I decided that I wanted a consistent look across my videos so decided to add a dust and scratch fx and some grain. I liked the old vintage look it gave. After that I was cautious of over using fxs and turning the films into a bad powerpoint.
I considered how I wanted to manipulate the footage. I wanted to go for a layered and merge feel rather than a more graphic approach with split screens etc. I had not previously worked with live layers or opacity and both provided some interesting effects.
My approach was to layer the obvious narrative footage and then play with the different effects until I made something that I liked. If it didn’t feel abstract enough or a little empty I tried slicing the film in places and changing opacity. I also added some generic footage, such as wind blowing leaves, to add texture and interest to dull bits.
I edited eleven of the interviews together in the one file and exported them as separate individual videos. This was because each video could be then posted to our Twitter feed and website separately to provide more content. Keeping the components of each video together in the one file gave options for overlapping the films if our final installation required it.
In the end we needed it as separate files as we showed the film split across three screens
During this editing process and really explored all the effects, colours and transitions and feel much more clued up on what each one does and how to manipulate it. I’d like to learn more about colouring and saving preferences.
I feel that I also learnt a lot about shooting moving image by just taking attractive footage, eg of a stirred cup of tea, and how different angles and distance can cause interest and texture.
This was a great project for both playing around with filming and playing around with editing.