Love Arts Festival / PPP3

3 screens are better than 1 projector

After much pleading for help, ten days before the installation date we finally got an appointment to see Matt to discuss projection mapping. We got a brief induction into the software and it all seemed possible, however the size of the space we had to work with made it impossible. In addition, the laptop that would power the projection and the projector itself would need turning off each night to prevent over-heating – a commitment we couldn’t make.

Matt was very helpful in finding alternatives and we found out that we could possibly use the same software to create the film across a number of Mac cinema displays. In addition, we could run the films off media players or a large tower unit which would not need to be switched off. This would mean that we could keep the movement we wished for the film across the space, but unfortunately lose the interesting textures, shapes and materials that we hoped to project on to.

IMG_2175

It took a few days of work, between us and Matt but we finally figured out that we could use Premiere Pro to create the film, using a custom width and identifying the left, centre, and right as the areas that would appear on the three screens we would use. As Zoe was our nominated AV suite rep (with me being the Festival rep, and Loren being the venues rep), Zoe made sure that we got all the specs right for the set up and in terms of how to then launch it across the three screens once it was in place. There was a combination of Mac settings, system screen allocation, and a special app that removed the programme bars that made it all work.

Zoe and I worked together to pull the edited films that the three of us made into one complete film that would make the most of the three screens. We looked for films that had similar themes, styles, or content at times, with others we looked for contrast. We were playful with stretching some films across all the screens, some over just two, or having separate ones in each. We also made some sandwiches, with a central film running and the two on either side being the same (or at times one running forward and one in reverse). We also went back to some original footage and added that in as it’s lack of editing often added a palette cleanser between the more heavily edited stuff.

IMG_1381

It came together quite naturally as both Zoe and I had a good knowledge of the clips that we had to work with, and somehow it just worked!

The final film is about 6.5 minutes long. I don’t imagine that anyone would stand and watch it all, but I think the length should mean that the daily commuters who walk past should see something different each time.

IMG_5849

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s