For the window installations Zoe, Loren and I made for the Love Arts Festival, we decided we needed to create a graphic identity that could be used to connect the windows and the online activity, such as the website and Twitter. I was allocated this task due to my interest in graphic design.
To aid this I thought we needed to come up with short and snappy description for the project. I reflected on why we ask people “when you are sad what makes you happy”, the resulting videos, and the call to action that this might prompt. I came up with Get Happy Leeds as it reflected the positivity the Festival wanted and it reminded me of the upbeat Judy Garland song “Get Happy”. I ran my idea past everyone via our Facebook group and they though it was great.
One of my aims with PPP3 is to strengthen and further develop my skills in Adobe Illustrator, so I decided to use it create the logo. I started with looking at the copy and how that could be presented and how the different layouts changed the text.
I then showed them to the group for feedback and suggested a pick-n-mix of ideas explored in this first exercise to create the next set. I went away and tried again, this time considering the needs of vinyl cutter as the logo would be applied to the windows, as well as the feedback that the ideas needed simplified. In this next round I also added colour to each idea. The ideas were from a similar palette, one which I thought reflected happy, and we to open up discussion on what direction we should go.
Again I posted these to our Facebook group and asked for feedback. We were all drawn to a similar two, but given the needs of the vinyl cutter our final decision was easy.
We decided that yellow would be the best, most happy, colour for the logo so I explored different colour ways. I liked the idea of coral too so I put that in just to make sure that we definitely thought yellow as the best by giving us something to compare against. I tired it with and without eyes and with different coloured eyes. We all agreed the strong yellow with eyes (the same colour) looked best.
In addition, thinking about Vimeo and Twitter that would be used in the project, I identified a minimised logo that could be used as the square avatar. I cut out the face from the logo, which gave the project a friendly, approachable, and cheerful image. I decided it had to be a different colour to the yellow as with too much yellow it is hard to identity different elements, and as the avatar and the yellow logo used as the timeline cover would appear together on social media, I thought it best. I thought the greeny turquoise complimented the yellow and brought calm to the branding.
With the avatar I edited the two ps, shortening the descender on the first and removing it in the second p to emphasis the nose space created by the joining text. You can see the difference the nose makes between the two samples below.
I think the avatar works really well across social media, however the presentation of the logo could have been improved. I think it looks a bit weird with the Festival logo on Twitter and a bit small on the Facebook, however, it’s fine for the time that I had to do it.
It looks a lot better on the windows.
I feel more confident in Illustrator now. I’ve learnt how to:
- export individual artboards as image files
- convert text to outlines for the vinyl cutter
- add new artboards
- edit points to adjust the image
- save colours
What I’m still not confident with is
- changing artboards once the file is set up
- creating curved shapes